Saturday, March 26, 2016

We could talk about genre?

So I've been doing all of this research for schizophrenia and how it is portrayed in movies and how I want to incorporate it into a suspenseful thriller. What have I neglected to talk about? The actual genre! In order to do the genre justice, I need to know how it's done. I know what creates fear in humans but now I need to know how directors incorporate it into their films. I need to ask myself, how do I want my audience to feel? Do I want to use that fear to have more of a conscience about the disease? Do I just want to give them a good scare?

I have never been a fan of movies that I can just forget about when they're done. That doesn't mean I don't like light-hearted movies; I just like to wrap my head around the plot and the characters and how it made me feel. For instance, just last night I went to see Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice. Sure, I know the director did not intend to make me think about some sort of social ill or anything that can be applied to the world we live in. But I at least wanted to come out thinking about how clever the plot was or how interestingly the characters were portrayed. There were some awesome parts in the action sequences, but in general, I walked out unsatisfied feeling like I had not seen anything with any real substance. 

But when I walked out of watching The Big Short, a movie about the Great Recession in 2008, I walked out thinking; concerned. I was interested in economics, in the story itself. I had to wrap my head around what happened, who it happened to, and most importantly, how it was shown through the medium of film. 

I like to watch something that makes me react. So, by making my production suspenseful, I want to give it some weight. I know I'm only talking about a two-minute film opening, but once I understand what I am trying to achieve with the whole story, I will able to create an opening that hopefully will leave the audience with some new and interesting idea in their minds.

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment